30 December 2012

Best Of: My Favourite Products of 2012

Before I get into this post I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the wonderful Steph from Bonjour Belle  who designed my blog for me! I absolutely love it and I cannot recommend her enough if you're looking to have your blog designed.

x

As this year draws to a close I thought it would be the perfect time to look back on my favourite products of the year.


Primer: NYX Studio Perfect Photo-Loving Anti-Redness Primer

This corrective primer cancels out redness in the skin whilst providing a silky base for your makeup to glide over, keeping it in place all day/night or under the hot studio lights of a photo shoot. A little goes a long way with this primer and I thoroughly recommend the entire range.

Honourable mentions: Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, Illamasqua Matt/Satin Primers

Foundation: NARS Sheer Glow

This has been my Holy Grail foundation for a good two/three years now. I've tried others, I've spent months using others, but I always return to my beloved Sheer Glow. For me it is the perfect foundation. It gives me the coverage I want, the finish I like and it doesn't break my skin out. Everyone should find their perfect foundation and for me, this is it.

Honourable mentions: MAC Face and Body, L'Oreal Lumi Magique

Concealer: DermaColour Camouflage Palette

As a makeup artist I swear by my DermaColour Camouflage palette to cover and correct. Derma is a thick, full coverage concealer however you can mix it in with a liquid foundation or moisturiser to thin it out a little or simply warm it up on the back of your hand and lightly wash over the area it is needed. It's incredibly pigmented so a little goes an exceptionally long way.

Honourable mentions: Collection Lasting Perfection, Vichy Dermablend

Blusher: Illamasqua 'Ambition'

Of all the blushers I own and believe me they are many, Ambition by Illamasqua is the one I love the most. It's my go-to blush and it works with every single look. It's a neutral shade with shimmer and it catches the light so beautifully and works well with my skin tone.

Honourable mentions: Benefit 'Coralista', MAC 'Peaches', Illamasqua 'Sophie'

Face power: MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder

I rediscovered my love for this pressed powder earlier this year when I was restocking my kit and I've hardly been parted from it since. I use NC20 despite being an NW as I like to flatten the skin with a yellow tone and this powder creates a flawless base without being heavy or cakey.

Honourable mentions: Rimmel Stay Matte, Chanel Loose Powder

Bronzer: Chanel Soleil de tan de Chanel Bronzing Base

The product formally known as Bronze Universal has been my bronzer of choice this year. In the summer I wore it alone on the high points of my face to create a bronzed look and in winter I wear it buffed onto the tops of my cheekbones to add a bit of warmth to my skin (I am so pale I am practically translucent).

Honourable mention: NARS Laguna

Highlighter: MAC Soft and Gentle

Soft and Gentle had been sitting unloved on my dressing table for some time when I saw a picture of my friend Hayley wearing the most gorgeous highlight on her cheeks, I instantly asked her what it was and was thrilled to hear it was Soft and Gentle. I rediscovered my love for it and I haven't been without it since!

Honourable mention: MAC Pearl CCB, Illamasqua Intense Pigment 'Furore'

Eyeshadow: Illamasqua Neutral Palette

The Illamasqua Neutral Palette has been one of the best cosmetic products launched in 2012 in my humble opinion. There are four colours in the palette: Stealth (a matte creamy white), Vintage (a divine gold that looks like liquid metal), Wolf (a warm toned brown) and Obsidian (the blackest black I have ever used). Illamasqua shadows in general, not just this palette, are absolutely divine. They're super pigmented, a dream to blend and the colour spectrum is just immense.

Honourable mention: MUA single shadows

Mascara: Rimmel Extra Super Lash

I picked this up on a whim earlier in the year on a mad dash to Boots before a makeup job. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do; it separates, lengthens and defines my lashes just the right amount. One coat is perfect but two creates a dramatic evening look. It also helps to perfectly blend false lashes and it does look clumpy.

Honourable mentions: Illamasqua Masquara

Eyeliner: Illamasqua Medium Pencil

As much as I love a liquid or gel liner, my pick for 2012 is the Illamasqua medium pencils - not only are they multi-purpose (they can be used on the lip or anywhere else on the face), the colours are great and they blend like a dream and stay put all day long, even in the waterline.

Honourable mentions: MAC, Elizabeth Arden

Lipstick: Illamasqua

If I'm ever looking for a new lipstick now, and let's be honest - am I ever not looking for a new lipstick? - the first place I look is Illamasqua. The colour range is divine, they're exceptionally well pigmented and they're super long lasting, basically everything you could want in a lipstick.

Honourable mentions: MAC, Chanel

Lip Liner: Rimmel London Exaggerate Automatic Lip Pencil

This may be a controversial choice as the shade range is very limited (it contains only five shades) but Eastend Snob has been my nude lip liner of the year. The pencils have a soft texture and they don't feel remotely drying. The colour payoff is brilliant and they can be worn alone or under a lipstick, I do both.

Honourable mentions: MAC, Illamasqua Medium Pencils

Lip Gloss: Chanel

I simply love Chanel lip gloss; they're never sticky nor gloopy, they're long wearing and I love the colour range available. The soft scent is enchanting and the packaging is as sleek and chic as everything else Chanel.

Honourable mention: Bobbi Brown

What were your favourite products of 2012?

Vicky x


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Love this post! Ill definitely be checking out your recommendations. I really want to try the Illamasqua lipsticks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I'd definitely recommend the Illamasqua lipsticks, they are amazing! xx

      Delete
  2. I really want Ambition blush. I keep swatching it everytime I go to Sephora. I agree with you on Illamasqua lipsticks, the colours are amazing and I love how the formula is matte without being drying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christine buy it, you won't look back! You're totally right, they've got the balance perfect. x

      Delete
  3. Great posts www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely favorites! I think its time I try some Illamasqua products! x

    beautybyren.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ren. I'd recommend Illamasqua to anyone! x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig