6 January 2013

A Peek Inside My Portfolio


Makeup and Hair for Arthur and Betty. Photographer: Mike 

I've had a few emails and Twitter questions recently about how I became a makeup artist, my tips and if I have a portfolio I can share. I do have a portfolio so I thought I'd run you though some of the images inside.

Every makeup artist knows the importance of having a portfolio and ensuring it's carefully edited to best showcase your work. Building a portfolio doesn't happen overnight, it's often a long, hard but thoroughly enjoyable process. Seeing your work captured in a professional image for the first time is an overwhelming experience and it's a buzz you never lose.

My First Photoshoot 


Model: Lauren Wallace @ Select. Photographer: Joel Anderson. Stylist: Trudie le Marie. Hair: Ryutaro. Makeup: Me


A professional photoshoot with a creative team came as part of the makeup course I undertook at London MUSE. I was lucky enough to be paired with the beautiful Lauren for my beauty and fashion shoots. Every student got to create two looks: one beauty look and one 'fashion' look, building on the base you had already created.

Seeing how far I'd come in just two weeks staring out at me in glorious high definition from a MacBook on set was such an overwhelming feeling. I'm going to put together a series of posts on my training and where I trained in the coming weeks for all who are interested as I've had a few emails for advice. 

Male Grooming


Model: Blyth @ Eclipse. Photographer: Izras. Male Grooming: Me assited by Hayley Campbell.

Of all the images in my portfolio, this set was the hardest to narrow down. I loved every single image. It was my first male grooming job and I couldn't believe how well it turned out. The first picture there could be straight from an ad campaign.


Models: Lilygreen and Maguire. Photographer: Jon Fenn. Male Grooming: Myself and Hayley.
Publication: Bliss Magazine

Hayley and I worked together on this male grooming job which was out first print publication. The images from this shoot featured in a few issues across the summer of 2012.

Creative Beauty


Model: Lyvia Alexandra. Photographer: Justine Louise. Makeup and Hair: Me.

This is one of my all time favourite images. I'd worked with Justine previously on a latex fashion shoot and she is just so lovely and I really appreciate her style. We decided to work together on a creative beauty project and really liked the idea of statement lips. I decided to freehand this Union flag design - with the Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics, 2012 was the year of Great Britain and I wanted to capture that. We accessorised with a crown headpiece from Pearls and Swine. You can view that image here or on my website.


 Model: Rona Kirwan. Photographer: Boo Jenkinson. Makeup: Me

This is another image I love. Everything just works from the ombre hair flip to the clash between the dress and the lip and the heavy smoky eye. 


I hope you enjoyed this little look inside my portfolio. You can view my complete gallery on my website. I need to add some new images to it soon so stay tuned for updates.

If you have any questions on any of the looks, would like a tutorial on anything, or have any questions about being a makeup artist, please let me know.

Vicky x
SHARE:

30 comments

  1. I looove that jubilee lip, when I first looked I thought you had used Violent Lip tattoo, but then saw you have done it freehand! It looks amazing!! I need to do more creative work, can't wait to get stuck into updating my portfolio this year xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun! A Violent Lip tattoo definitely would have saved the hand cramp from trying to keep as steady a hand as possible but I love the outcome, it was so worth it. Me too! Can't wait to see what you update with :) xxx

      Delete
  2. You've got some lovely looks there! Very talented! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you did those lips freehand, you're so talented :) How long have you been a makeup artist?

    I really want to do a makeup course but the ones here are 6 months to a year and cost as much as a 4 year university degree. It seems like courses in the UK are much quicker and cheaper? I've been toying with the idea of staying with my aunt in Scotland for a month if I could find a good course to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I trained two years ago this month.

      Wow! Some places over here are quite long and mega expensive too. My course was 2 weeks and cost about £2000, included in that is a professional brush set, use of all high end products, a shopping trip with discounts of up to 35% and a professional photoshoot with full creative team and retouched images. Well worth it for getting your foot on the ladder. x

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! That is an amazing value for a course. The one I was looking at here cost that for the brushes and makeup alone :(

      Delete
    3. Wow, seriously? That's SO expensive. At MUSE you don't have to buy any of your products, you have full use of the course kit which is filled with professional brands like MAC and Chanel. You then get a shopping day with discounts which enables you to build your kit at a fraction of the price and by only buying what you want and think you'll need. Nicci (the course tutor) is great at guiding you in the right direction for what to buy too, she won't encourage you to buy anything she feels would be a waste. x

      Delete
  4. Great informative post. I love to find out how people have worked hard to get to where they are today. You have what looks like a very impressive portfolio :D

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh think it's safe to say I want you to do my makeup! Amazing work ... I totally thought those lips were the stick on ones they look that perfect!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you honey! I wanted to get them as precise as possible to try and keep retouching to a minimum xx

      Delete
  6. Wow, an incredibly impressive collection of photos. I adore the makeup in the last photo.
    Really love how unique your blog is xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belle, that's such a lovely comment. xx

      Delete
  7. Wow what an amazing portfolio you have. You must be extremely talented I love all your work x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, that means a lot x

      Delete
  8. I loved this blogpost, I was actually looking for this kind of information somewhere.. there is many blogs and bloggers I like and follow but most of them are not professional!
    Glad to know you are a UK make up artist. I just finished my makeup artistry here in Buenos Aires and Im moving to Sweden this year and hopefully I will do an advanced makeup course in UK.
    I also checked your website and the school you went :) Would you recommend me that one? Do you know about any school that has courses for people who has already makeup knoledge but they wanna perfect their skills?

    Thanks for all the info x !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend London MUSE to anyone Flo. They take on complete beginners as well as people with experience who want to advance their skills. You can either do a one, two or four week course ranging from the absolute basics to advanced makeup, hairstyling and more.

      Congratulations on finishing your course in Buenos Aires and good luck with your move to Sweden! x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Vicky! I really hope I can do a course in London, it's like my number 1 dream, if it comes true Ill have my eye set on MUSE :)
      X

      Delete
    3. Good luck - let me know how you get on x

      Delete
  9. Your job sounds amazing, it's nice to have a bit more info about the make up industry. I love your header by the way xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy, I really love freelancing.

      Thank you! It was created by Steph from Bonjour Belle xx

      Delete
  10. these are amazing chick! You are so talented xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you hun! Means a lot x

      Delete
  11. It's lovely to have a peek into your portfolio,you've done some amazing work!! I love the lips, it's amazing you've done it freehand,wow! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is incredible! I love the makeup on the last photo - so shocking! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abbie, it's one of my favourite shots! x

      Delete
  13. These photos are amazing! Those Union Jack lips are so fierce. Amazing portfolio! Xx

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig