4 January 2013

Bake of the Week: Profiteroles

I didn't do much baking over Christmas as there was already enough food to contend with without me adding to it with cakes and pastries so I couldn't wait to get baking again once the Christmas food had been finished.



I decided to make one of my favourite things: profiteroles. A lot of people shy away from profiteroles due to the fact they're made from choux pastry which has a reputation for being difficult however once you've mastered it, it's a whole new world of baking!

Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how many profiteroles this recipe makes as I eat probably as many as I actually decorate...


You will need


  • Large saucepan
  • Two baking trays
  • Baking parchment/paper
  • A piping bag fitted with a medium/large nozzle.

Ingredients - for the choux pastry 

  • 125ml milk
  • 200ml cold water
  • 150g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon golden caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten

Ingredients - for the filling/decorating

  • 200ml double cream
  • A few tablespoons of icing sugar
  • Melted chocolate to cover

Instructions

1. Place the milk, cold water, salt and sugar into a large saucepan and set over a low heat. Once the sugar and salt has dissolved add the butter to the pan. Keep the heat low until the butter has melted.

2. Once the butter has melted, increase the temperature and bring to a rolling boil. If you're unsure what a rolling boil is (as I was): a rolling boil is reached when the liquid is rapidly boiled with lots of bubbling. 

3. As soon as the liquid reaches a rolling boil, turn the heat off, tip in the flour and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon. As soon as the mixture starts to come away from the pan, stop beating and turn out onto a plate to cool. Be warned - at this stage it will look far from pretty but stick with it, the end result is so worth it.

4. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees.

5. Once the mixture has cooled to the point where it is tepid rather than hot either return it to the pan on no heat or tip into a bowl. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time ensuring you mix well until a smooth paste is formed. 

6. Spoon the paste into the piping bag and pipe walnut sized balls onto two lined baking trays. Dip a finger into cold water and press each ball of dough to level the top. Do not skip this step, it makes a difference.

7. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Set aside to cool. As the profiteroles are essential full of air, this should not take long.

8. Fill a saucepan with water and heat. Place a bowl over the saucepan (the water should not touch the bowl) and fill the bowl with broken up chocolate. Keep on a medium heat to avoid burning the chocolate. Stir regularly until the chocolate is melted and remove from the heat.

9. Place the double cream in a bowl, add a few tablespoons of icing sugar and whisk until the cream thickens.

10. You could be very professional and use a kitchen syringe to inject the cream into the profiteroles. I use a small sharp knife to cut them 1/4 of the way along and using a teaspoon, fill them with cream before pouring a spoon of melted chocolate over each profiterole. 


You can eat your profiteroles as soon as they're made but they're lovely when they've been in the fridge for a little while so that the chocolate sets and the cream really chills again. 

As it was Christmas I opted to fill some of my profiteroles with Valencia orange and Grand Marnier cream which I whipped up with some icing sugar. 

As always I hope you enjoyed this post and that it was helpful to somebody! I would love to see pictures if you attempt to make these. 


Vicky x
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. These look so yummy! My boyfriend loves profiteroles so I might makes these for Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be a lovely idea Christine, you definitely should! They're soo nice. x

      Delete
  2. Wow these look so good! You made it sound so easy too. I'm deff going to attempt these soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you honey! They really are a lot easier than they look. Let me know how you get on xx

      Delete
  3. YUUUM! My mom baked profiteroles as New year's dinner dessert, they are so good :)

    Yours look amazing x)

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look amaaaazing! woah, how do you not have more followers?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte - they were lovely! Aw thanks, I can't believe as many people read as they do :) x

      Delete
  5. Oh these look yummy, I might have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kacie, you definitely should. Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  6. I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Your blog is fantastic and i love your posts. Well done :)

    http://cllrs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Callie! I've done it once but I'm sure I can do another :) x

      Delete
  7. Oh my God, these look amazing! Never even thought about making my own profiteroles, but they're my favourite dessert! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Milly. I'd definitely suggest giving them a go. They're really quite quick to make and it's really nice to know you've made them rather than bought them! x

      Delete
  8. Wow they look yummy! wish I was good at cooking :).

    pocockins.blogspot.com
    Sophie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie :) It's definitely a case of practice and a lot of things are hit and miss! xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig