2 January 2013

How I Stay Organised



I have a confession: I am an obsessive organiser. It's a trait that comes in quite handy when you're balancing two jobs, one of which involves organising quite a large team. In order to stay on top of both roles as well as what's going on in my social life, I simply have to plan and write things down. I've tried to solely use the calendar on my phone but I always switch the alerts off which is pointless - top tip - don't switch them off if you want to remember anything, but I always come back to good old pen and paper.

If you're as obsessed with organising as I am, or even just stationary (I can't be the only one?) then this is how I stay organised and how everyone else can too!


This is my life in pink binding. My Finsbury Personal Organiser Filofax has everything I need in it from work hours to appointments to birthdays and more. I use the little dividers and sections inside and the business card holder and large pocket are so useful for business cards and documents.

Inside I have coloured note pages, some to-do lists, a tube map and a ruler. I can do a separate post on what's inside if anyone is interested or looking to buy one? The personal size is perfect for keeping in your bag.

I picked up a yearly refill in WHSmith on New Year's Eve so that I was fully prepared for 2013. I do like a page a day but I've gone for a two page week this time.



I always carry a note book with me and I like to buy one each year - there's just something about having new pages to write on! My note books are mainly made up of lists: to-do lists, shopping lists, wish lists and now blogging lists! I also jot down ideas I have for photo shoots as well as general things that I need to remember.


I also carry around a mid-year diary for work. August to May is a key period for me at work so I keep a diary specifically for that time period where I keep track of days and locations and write my staff briefings. It helps me keep focused on that particular area and the information I need.

I picked this mid-year planner up in WHSmith in June and it's been a Godsend so far. It's the first year I've organised my work like this and I really notice the difference. I find it so much easier to stay on top of everything when it's well organised. It's also calming to know that you've got everything you need written down - I used to be nervous about doing my briefings when I hadn't written it down previously. I find writing it clears my mind and helps me to focus on what needs to be said and done.

As you can see from the picture above, I do like my coloured pens for keeping things organised. Colour coordinating really worked for me at school when I was revising or planning essays so it's something I've stuck with. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke...

My top tips for staying organised

  • Where possible, write something down as soon as you can: don't assume you'll be able to remember it later.
  • Keep all of your appointments/events listed in one place, whether that's one diary or on a year planner. It'll stop you double booking.
  • Find a system that works for you; for me, it's colour coding and post-it notes.
  • Read back what you've written! It sounds obvious but even as you turn to a fresh page, have a look at what you've already put down, it could spark a memory of something you still need to do.


I hope somebody found this post interesting or helpful!

How do you stay organised?

Vicky x
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Im the same! I love my diary and my lists haha. Glad someone else is! And your stationary is so cute! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Thank you, I really love pretty stationary - I could spend hours in Paperchase! xx

      Delete
  2. I love my lime green Filofax! I've been using my ipad calendar but I think I may have to go back to good old pen & paper after reading this.

    Gemma xx
    gemmaer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just can't beat a Filofax for organisation can you? I don't know where I'd be without mine. xx

      Delete
  3. I found this post very useful! I really want a filofax, this is currently on my never ending wish list!
    I have just started keeping a little notebook full of blogpost ideas and planned blogposts...i've found it so helpful as well as enjoyable! :)
    Love the blog post.

    Nicolle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wanted one for quite a while before I actually picked mine up. They just seemed so expensive but when I thought about how much I must have spent on diaries it seemed worth it.

      That sounds like a really good idea Nicolle, I'll have to try that myself! x

      Delete
  4. I've become such a notepad person recently, forever a to-do list maker! You've inspired me to get a diary, I knew I needed one and I really hope to be more organised xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, I love a good to-do list.

      Aw really? Good luck with it, it took me a while to actually stick with it and not give up :) xx

      Delete
  5. i love a good filofax, being organised is super important :) also love the stationary, i could soend so much on pretty pens and post its ;)

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I love buying stationary and little bits like that, I could live in somewhere like Paperchase! x

      Delete
  6. I need a bit of your personality, I'm the messiest person in the world and I always forget stuff.. !
    Thanks for your tips, I think this year I'm going to get a 2013 organizer even if my life is not that exciting :)

    x

    Flo
    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with finding a way that works for you this year :) x

      Delete
  7. Hi,

    what an informative blog post. I often find myself battling to be more organised. I think that the 'writing things down as soon as you can so you don't forget them' idea is a very good one.

    Thanks

    Hanna Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, glad it helped. I find it so much easier now to write things down when I think of them otherwise I do forget them and usually end up remembering them at bed time - not ideal! Good luck with being more organised. x

      Delete
  8. I love your stationery, it's gorgeous!! Like you I'm an obsessive organiser and seem to not only organise my own life but my boyfriends too and everyone's Christmas!! He says I'm so organised its scary! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm exactly the same haha - better to be organised than not! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig