7 January 2013

Ready, Steady Cook: Pulled Pork with Homemade Winter Slaw and Relish



On Friday I attempted to cook something I had never cooked before: Pulled Pork in a homemade marinade, served with homemade winter slaw and homemade relish. I found the original recipe in Fabulous magazine last year and adapted it to suit what I like.

I'd never cooked a joint of meat before so that alone was an experience and a very tasty one at that. It's a labour of love (and hunger) so this definitely isn't something you can cobble together after work, unless you fancy eating in the early hours of the morning. They're a fantastic accompaniment to a winter BBQ or a bonfire party (yes I know I'm two months too late, or ten months too early!).

Serves: 6
Marinating Time: Approximately 2 hours
Cooking Time: Up to 5 Hours and 20 minutes 


You will need

  • Deep baking tray/roasting dish
  • A grater 
  • A food processor
  • Time to spare!
  • Shop/bakery bought rolls - due to the marinating time you could bake your own if you wanted.
Meat

  • Pork shoulder joint - mine was 0.9kg, this recipe is suitable for a joint up to 1.5kg.

Ingredients - for the marinade 
  • 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 30ml of olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
  • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of English mustard
  • 300ml of dry cider
Ingredients - for the slaw
  • Up to half of a red cabbage 
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 tablespoons of flat-leaf parsley
  • Two fresh beetroot/half a jar of pickled beetroot
  • 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise 
  • Salt and black pepper
Ingredients - for the relish (not pictured)
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • Vegetable oil
  • 100ml cider
  • 150ml tomato ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of English mustard

Instructions - marinating and cooking the pork

1. Place all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. When combined, rub the marinade well into the pork shoulder - I really struggled with this as touching raw meat makes me feet hideously sick. I had to ask someone to do this part for me! 

2. Once you've rubbed the marinade into the pork, pop the shoulder into the bowl to sit in the remaining juice, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for up to two hours, turning it over after an hour.

3. Pre-heat you oven to 240 degrees. Place the pork onto a baking tray/roasting dish and roast at this temperature for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, cover the tray tightly with a large sheet of tin foil, reduce the heat to 160 degrees and cook for up to 5 hours. I cooked mine for three hours and the meat was perfect, it was melt in the mouth stuff. 

4. Once cooked, set the pork aside for 20-30 minutes before pulling the meat apart with two forks to create the 'pulled' effect.

Making the slaw

5. Whilst your meat is cooking (or cooling), make your winter slaw. I put the red onion and 1/4 of a red cabbage into a food processor separately and blitzed them until they were tiny little pieces. You can shred the cabbage and finely chop the onion but I wanted to whizz it up in the food processor. Grate the carrot, finely chop the parsley and place everything in a bowl. Add 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise and mix well - this is your slaw!

Making the relish

6. Place the vegetable oil in a medium sized pan, add the onion and fry over a medium heat for five minutes. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a few minutes.

7. Add the cider to the pan and allow it to reduce by half. Make sure you stir the pan with a wooden spoon to make sure nothing sticks!

8. When the cider has reduced add the remaining ingredients and cook for approximately 5 - 7 minutes, until the relish has thickened. 

Serving

9. Distribute bread rolls, pile high with pork, relish and slaw and enjoy! I opted for a dollop of mayonnaise with mine too!


I found this recipe to be surprisingly simple and not as time consuming as it seems, whilst the meat was cooking I was doing other things so I really didn't notice the time. Obviously you can adapt parts of the recipe to suit your own tastes - I certainly did. Walnuts make a great addition to winter slaw, as does freshly squeezed lemon juice and natural yoghurt.  

I'd love to see pictures/stories if you attempt this yourself and I hope, as always, that it was helpful.

Vicky x


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. im waiting to go and my lunch break and this is such a tease! it looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie! I'm waiting for lunch myself so I'm avoiding looking at the photo! xx

      Delete
  2. Great post! xo
    Thanks for sending me your link in the #bbloggers chat, I love your blog, new follower! xo
    chloesway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! Just looking at your blog now x

      Delete
  3. This looks so yummy, and such a great attempt for a first go, wow!! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious!! Definitely a labor of love :)

    xx Ellie
    www.ellalogy.com 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It was so worth it at the end though :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig