1 February 2013

Bake of the Week: Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes

Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes are one of my favourite things to bake. I'm not entirely sure where I first found the recipe, I think it was from the Great British Bake Off a few years ago, but it's been a staple in my house ever since. These little beauties are deceptively simple and utterly delicious if I do say so myself, and I do!




This recipe will make 12 cupcakes and does contain nuts so apologies to anybody with allergies.


You Will Need

  • One 12-hole muffin tray or two 6-hole muffin trays.
  • 12 cute muffin cases - mine are from Tesco and also come in blue.
  • An apple corer 
  • A juicer - not an actual juicer but one of those pointy things you use to juice lemons.

Ingredients - for the cupcakes

  • 150g margarine (I used Stork)
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 3 eggs at room temperature 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 60g ground almonds 
  • 1 tablespoon milk
Ingredients - for the filling

  • 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam, sieved 
Ingredients - for the icing

  • 250g icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Ingredients - to decorate 

  • 6 glace cherries, halved.

Instructions

1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin tray.

2. Using an electric whisk cream the margarine until light and fluffy. Add in all of the remaining cake ingredients and mix until well combined. 

3. Spoon equal amounts into the cupcake cases and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown and well risen. Once out of the oven, set aside to cool.

4. Mix sieved icing sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl until the icing resembles a thick paste. It shouldn't be runny but it should pour. 

5. In a separate bowl, sieve the jam and mix with a spoon to create a puree. 

6. Using an apple corer, hollow out the centre of the cakes. Eat the cake you remove as you go - you'll thank me for it.

7. Carefully spoon the jam into the hole in the cakes, be careful not to fill right to the brim.

8. Spoon the icing into the remaining space in the hole of the cake and pour to cover the entire cupcake.

9. Cut your glace cherry in half and place it roughly over where the whole in the cake was created.

10. Enjoy with a cup of tea!


I really like this recipe. It's super simple yet really effective and everybody I know loves it. 

If you give this a go I'd really love to see pictures and hear how you get on.

Vicky x





SHARE:

9 comments

  1. OMG these are lovely! I have a tin that looks exactly like a Cherry Bakewell... http://icecreamandclara.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/new-scrummy-baking-tin.html :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely I think I'll have to try them out soon :) xo.

    gemmaferris.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on if you do Gemma! xx

      Delete
  3. Ah i really want to make these but im dieting and would be tempted to eat them all!! lol x

    http://pamperedpout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowwww ! drooling to see this post!

    love,
    Yati from Malaysia

    http://yatiinoah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look Great :)
    Check out my blog at: http://beauty-fulll.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig