24 February 2013

Bake of the Week: Welsh Cakes

Welsh Cakes are a traditional Welsh snack that are super quick and easy to make and taste absolutely divine.

Having lost my voice, I decided there was no better way to spend my Sunday afternoon that baking delicious tea time treats (and watching the football and rugby - what can I say, I can multi-task!).



This recipe makes at least six Welsh cakes depending on how thick you roll the dough and which sized cutters you use.

You Will Need
  • A griddle or large frying pan
  • A rolling pin
  • Round cookie cutters

Ingredients
  • 225g self-raising flour
  • 110g salted butter, cut into small squares
  • 1 medium egg
  • Handful of sultanas
  • 85g caster sugar
  • Splash of milk

Instructions

1. Sieve the flour into a medium bowl and add the diced butter. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

2. Add the sugar and sultanas to the mixture and mix well - I used my hands for this step. Once the fruit and sugar are combined, add the egg and mix until a dough forms.

3. The mixture can be quite dry so add a splash of milk if you need to until the dough comes together in a ball. Once I'd mixed the egg in I used my hands for this step.

4. Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll out until approximately 1/4 inch thick.

5. Using your cookie cutters cut your Welsh cakes out.

6. Take some butter and grease your griddle or large frying pan and allow it to heat. Once it is hot, place your Welsh Cakes onto the heated surface and cook for 2-3 each side until golden brown. You can cook for longer if you prefer.

7. Dust generously with caster sugar and eat hot or cold!

This was my first time making Welsh Cakes and I was surprised at how quick, easy and delicious they are! I tried a few with jam instead of caster sugar and they were lovely.

As always I'd love to know how you get on if you try these.

Vicky x
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Really nice recipe sweetie. By the way now I´m following you i hope your follow me back..

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you - if you make them I hope you like them x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They really are. They're a fab tea time snack xx

      Delete
  3. what a perfect post to come across on St David's Day! I absolutely adore Welsh cakes, such a delicious snack :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I was planning to save the post for St David's Day but it was too good not to share straight away! xx

      Delete
  4. These look so nice! Yum :)
    I'm a new follower!

    I also have a new post up if you'd like a peek :)
    www.slingback-scandal.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll check your blog out now xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig