23 February 2013

Review: L'Oreal Colour Caresse Shine Stains

The L'Oreal Colour Caresse Lip Stains are one of the most highly anticipated beauty products hitting shelves this Spring (or in my case, February and judging by the snow, yes SNOW, falling outside, it is most definitely not Spring!) so when I spotted them on the L'oreal stand on my lunch break browse of Superdrug I couldn't wait to try them.

From top to bottom: Princess, Marilyn and Romy.

They retail at £7.99 and Superdrug had a 3 for 2 offer across all L'Oreal products so I snapped up three of the seven shades available. 

The packaging is nice and sleek and in keeping with the L'Oreal brand. The clear strip enables you to see the colour of the product (more on that later) and the streamlined shape means it takes up minimal room in your handbag or makeup bag which is a good thing if like mine, yours is bursting at the seams!



The Shine Stains have the typical L'Oreal heart shaped felt applicator and just look how pigments and creamy the product looks!

When I swatched the product on my hand in Superdrug I was super impressed with the pigmentation, especially considering how lightweight the product felt. Even after washing my hands several times that afternoon you could still see faint stripes of colour! 

When applied to the lips the colour is definitely not as strong which I should have expected, hands and lips are two totally different colours and canvases. The stains are very fluid in texture which is typical of a stain and as such can be built up to create a bolder look but be warned, if you're looking for a power pout then these lip stains alone are not the product for you.

Below are some swatches of how the products look on my lips, keep in mind that how they look on you will vary depending on your natural lip colour and tone. Also, apologies for not including a full face image, I'm having HD Brows on Friday and you can't touch them for four weeks prior to the treatment which is not an attractive sight!

Princess



When layered, Princess becomes a beautiful tomato orange and when left sheer it is a light coral, perfect for Spring/Summer. 

Marilyn


The name of this Shine Stain baffles me. Marilyn is synonymous with Marilyn Monroe who is automatically associated with red lipstick yet L'Oreal have chosen what looks like Barbie pink in the tube and applies like a rose pink stain. 

Romy


Romy is the shade I've been keeping in my handbag. Even layered on it still looks like a natural lip colour which is perfect for work.


As you can see, the colour in the tube is, in my opinion significantly, different to the colour that applies. Part of this will of course be due to the fact the stains are sheer and will vary depending on your natural lip shade however even with lips toned down or totally blanked out I've been unable to get them to match the shade they're shown as being, particularly Marilyn.

Stains are perfect for when you want your lips to last all day without several touch ups and the Shine Stains have pretty good staying power, even after eating and drinking though there is some colour transfer which I put down to the glossy element. I'd say I get at least 6 hours wear before I top up which is usually after lunch.


Mini Overviews
  • On the whole I do like the Shine Stains and I think they'd work great over a lip liner for an all day lip with a little bit more punch than they can achieve on their own. 
  • The Shine Stains do feel lightweight on the lip however the longer you wear them they do start to feel tacky.
  • I've been wearing Marilyn on my cheeks this week for a natural flush and it double up lovely as a cheek tint with the gloss providing a highlight.
  • For those wanting to know if they're a dupe for the YSL Glossy Stain I'm afraid I can't answer as I've never tried the YSL Glossy Stains.

Have you tried the L'Oreal Colour Caresse Shine Stains yet? Which colours and what are your thoughts?

Vicky x

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I saw these in Boots yesterday- haven't seen them before that! Thanks for the review- the packaging is lovely and the colours look nice but shame the colours aren't as pigmented on the lips! X x

    CandyxCosmetics.blogspot.co.uk (Giveaway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame but layered there is still a good colour payoff, just not amazing xx

      Delete
  2. Such a good idea to wear these on the cheeks too. great review :) I find it so strange how they change colour when they're on the lips though, I picked up Eve and it goes from a lilac to a plum! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) A lot of it will be to do with the fact they're so sheer and the natural pigment of the lip xx

      Delete
  3. They're gorgeous I love the Romy, definitely going to be swatching these next time I'm in Boots xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of them when you do xx

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful! Definitely going to try these out.

    ~followed you! :)

    http://susievibes.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig