19 March 2013

Lifestyle: Cheltenham Gold Cup

I've never really been a hat person but as I was heading to the races on Friday for the Gold Cup, I thought I'd make the effort (that a a bump the size of a cricket ball decided to appear just above my right eyebrow a few days before - I really must stop fighting in my sleep!), especially when I saw there was no set dress code for Cheltenham but Ladies usually wear hats (no laughing at the back!).


After 40 minutes of umm-ing and aah-ing in Debenhams as well as a frantic Twitter poll, I settled on this lovely grey fascinator. It had a thick banded headband to keep it in place and was decorated with feathers and mesh ribbons.

Sadly, the weather had it in for me and I ended up wearing two coats, a scarf and a rather fetching plastic poncho for most of the day - the glamour!


This is pre-poncho in a momentary escape from the rain. In all honesty I had mistakenly believed that the wide brim may keep me somewhat dry but with winds blowing a gale and the mini monsoon the hat acted as a sort of sieve... attractive. 


Not that the dress I wore was particularly important given the fact nobody saw it due to the delightful weather, I wore an Oasis dress (mentioned here) with Primark Super Cosy tights, a H&M blazer and knee high boots.


The picture doesn't do it justice but Cheltenham is actually rather beautiful, the hills and surroundings are lovely and make a nice change from the concrete sky of London!


With it being St Patrick's Weekend (Friday is practically the weekend) it would have been rude not to have spent some time in the Guinness Village!!

I know horse racing isn't to everyones taste, particularly with jumps, but Cheltenham is a fantastic day out and we even finished the day in profit.. below is the golden ticket - a winner and a place! 


All in all, I had a fantastic day. You really can't beat a good day at the races and even the rain couldn't dampen watching the Gold Cup in person, the horses truly are utterly magnificent animals.


I hope you all enjoyed my first foray into 'lifestyle' posting - let me know if you'd be interested in seeing other similar posts. 

Have you ever been to the races? 

Vicky x
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. This is a lovely post. I'm going to the Ladies Day at Ascot and I'm quite worried about the whole hat thing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debenhams have some fantastic fascinators that look like hats in at the moment - Ascot have some pretty strict rules surrounding their dress code but it's such a great day xx

      Delete
  2. oh you're hats lovely! Hope you had fun!
    xxx
    glossy-boutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look soo classy in that hat! It really suits you :) I've never been to the races believe it or not ha :) sounds like I'm missing out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you hun. The races are a great day out xx

      Delete
  4. Your hat looks so gorgeous! You look lovely, unfortunate about the weather.I've never been to the races but i just mentioned it to my sister after reading this post, i think it would be alot of fun x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The weather was a shame but it's still a great day :) You should definitely go, it's such fun x

      Delete
  5. Ahh, that's so cool! You look incredibly classy. I'd love to go to the races but we don't have that here :( (USA) Well, we do, but it's not something people dress up for, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! That's such a shame :( do you have anything equivalent? X

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig