3 March 2013

Beauty | HD Brows Treatment Review

I am obsessed with neat, well-presented eyebrows as they really do frame your face and make such a difference to your overall appearance. I usually get my eyebrows threaded at a Shavata brow bar but after some research I decided I was going to take the plunge and try HD Brows.

A quick browse of locations offering HD Brows (official treatment providers can be found on the HD Brows website and I fully recommend you only use people from that list) and I settled on the spa at The Athenaeum Hotel in Mayfair on Friday evening. 

You are advised to leave your brows for at least 4 weeks prior to the treatment to see the best results; that means no plucking! I had to hide my tweezers whilst I grew my wolf brows - absolute hell, and as with any treatment that requires tinting, you need to do a patch test 48 hours before the treatment. I popped into the spa a few days before to pick up the patch test kit and it couldn't have been easier to do.


The patch test comes in a credit card sized cardboard wallet and contains the patch test and instructions on how to apply it and what to do if you have a reaction.


The patch test itself is quick and easy to apply, I did mine myself at work and it took all of a minute!


The patch test applies like a temporary tattoo - just like the ones you applied as kids. I applied mine just on the inside of my arm, beneath my elbow.

You should patch test at least 24 hours in advance though 48 hours is recommended, to avoid any adverse reactions. If the salon don't recommend a patch test I strongly advise you ask for one, unless it's a repeat appointment but you should always have a patch test before your first appointment.

So 'boring' health and safety out of the way and with no adverse reaction I set off to the spa for my treatment after work. 

The Athenaeum Hotel is located in Mayfair, on Piccadilly near the corner of Hyde Park and it's definitely a hidden gem. The spa is downstairs and I can't wait to go back and try some other treatments, the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming and the spa itself is well presented and exceptionally clean.

The HD Brows section is in a curtained off section of the relaxation room and is well lit and clean. My appointment started with filling in a form stating I'd had no adverse reaction to the patch test and that I was aware things like threading bumps could occur after the treatment - again just disclaimer stuff that spas have to cover but are very important both the the business and the client. 

My therapist ran through the treatment with me, explaining that most people need 3-4 appointments to get the shape perfect and then appointments are a lot less frequent. She talked me through the process and we spoke about shapes and shades for tinting and then she started the treatment.

HD Brows is a 7 step treatment to the perfect brow and she began with tinting my brows - my brows are already very dark so I was a little apprehensive that I would end up with brows too dark for my face but that wasn't the case - tinting catches and colours all the fine hairs that you can't always see and helps created a more accurate, fuller brow.

After the tinting came measuring/assessing the brows, this ensures both sides are even and of equal thickness. Now I know no two brows are identical but getting them as similar as possible really helps. During this stage she measured the brows using a thread and marked the shape in to even the brows up.

Next came waxing to start shaping the brow. I haven't waxed my brows since I was 14 and went to a grim little nail shop to get them done after school and as a rule I'm not a fan of eyebrow waxing as it pulls the skin as well as the hair and I'd rather thread - that being said the results are precise and it didn't hurt.

The therapist then tweezed and stubborn hairs before using threading to really create a precise shape. I love threading - I don't find it painful and I think it's the most precise and polished finish to eyebrows.

The brows and surrounding area were then soothed and I was provided with aftercare information.

Once the brows were perfectly shaped she filled them in using a HD Brows pencil, brow palette and brow gel to remove any slight gaps still left over - I have a sparse patch in my left eyebrow due to some over enthusiastic plucking during a football game - never pluck your eyebrows when you're distracted, especially if your team are losing - you will regret it. A dusting of mineral makeup was also applied to conceal any redness.

As to what I think about the treatment? Well, the difference speaks for itself.


Although HD Brows are modified to suit every face shape, the basic shape of the brows is the same and tweaked only to suit individual preference.

In order for my brows to be at their best I will need a few more sessions which are recommended to be 3-4 weeks apart and after that I should have the perfect brow shape which I can then just maintain.

I'm really happy with the treatment and the effect and I would recommend HD Brows and the Spa at The Athenaeum to anybody looking to try the treatment, especially as it's currently on offer for £30 instead of £55 and you're given a spa loyalty card - for every five hour long treatments you get one free, what an incentive!

Have you had HD Brows? What do you think of them?

Vicky x
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Your eyebrows look amazing! This is something I'd definitely think about getting down, so plucking for 4 weeks is a long time though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a long time but it's worth it in the end and after the treatment the regrowth shouldn't be too bad between appointments xx

      Delete
  2. Your eyebrows look amazing! I've always hated mine and wish we had something like HD Brows here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you don't have HD Brows there a good shape and tint will do just as good a job xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really pleased with them xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so jealous, your eyebrows looks amazing!!!! xx

    Gem ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I have nominated you for a Liebster Award, you can check out the rules and questions here

    http://mrsbeautyjunkie83.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/liebster-award.html

    Love Pavan xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll check it out xx

      Delete
  6. Your brows look great! I don't totally get the whole "patch" thing though!

    The Introverted Brunette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      A patch test is basically an allergy test - it places a small amount of dye in contact with the skin; it's designed to flag up any allergy to the tint - if you react you can't have the treatment. It's the same as when you have your hair coloured at a new salon. It's health and safety, insurance covering for the treatment provider but equally as important for the client xx

      Delete
  7. They look fabulous! I've had mine done before & loved it :) I must book another appointment actually!! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great treatment isn't it? Your brows are already fab so I'd love to see them HD'd! xx

      Delete
  8. They look fab! I'd love to get my brows done by them xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know what you think if you do xx

      Delete
  9. Such an amazing difference - your brows look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm amazed at the difference, I always think threading alone looks good but the combination creates such a polished finish x

      Delete
  10. It’s just great looking. It’s amazing brow makeup. If you need to make such type of hd brows then you can contact with Michalinas Nail Bar & Beauty. They have expert professional beauticians who can make your brow looking better than this. And not only the brow they can take care all of your beauty related needs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've recently bought the HD brow kit, but (foolishly) never realised they did a treatment- your eyebrows look great! I'll have to look at treating myself :)

    C x | www.gymbagsandgladrags.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the brow kits, they're such great quality. Let me know how you get on if you try it xx

      Delete
  12. Love this post! Im gonna have to invest .

    www.itsflashyfash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you find it if you do :) x

      Delete
  13. I've had this done before it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great treatment isn't it? I could never go back to not doing it now x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig