6 August 2013

Ready, Steady, Cook: Stuffed Chicken Breast with Salad and Garlic Corn

One of the things I miss most about working flexible hours is that it's so much harder to find time to cook meals from scratch now. By the time I get home from work at 7:30, the last thing I want to do is start cooking a proper meal hence my ridiculous over-reliance on takeaways and ready meals.


With that in mind, when I am at home of a weekend or on rare days off, I love to cook and try something new. Last weekend I decided to make chicken breast, stuffed with a herb mascarpone and wrapped in prosciutto and served with garlic corn, beetroot salad and homemade wedges.

As I've been a bad blogger of late, I forgot to take pictures of the corn and wedges but I'll still explain how I cooked them.



Serves: 2 (or as many people as you need it to!)
Preparation: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes


You will need
  • A non-stick frying pan
  • A roasting tray
  • A baking tray
  • Tin foil
For the chicken
  • Two skinless chicken breasts or fillets
  • Three tablespoons mascarpone cheese
  • Two cloves garlic: one crushed, one finely chopped
  • One and a half tablespoons mixed herbs (I used fresh basil, thyme and rosemary) 
  • Six slices prosciutto 
  • Half a lemon
  • Three tablespoons olive oil
For the corn
  • Two half corn on the cob
  • Lurpak garlic butter (you can make your own - I didn't have time)
For the wedges
  • Two potatoes, sliced into wedges
  • Coleman's potato wedge mix (again, you can make your own, I didn't for time purposes)
For the salad
  • Lettuce
  • Cucumber
  • Red onion
  • Tomato
  • Radish
  • Beetroot
  • Spring onions
With the salad - you really can include whatever you prefer, I'm quite fussy with salad - I don't like leaves (lettuce!) but I love crunchy things like cucumber.

Instructions

1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees.

2. Place your mascarpone, chopped herbs and garlic into a bowl and mix well until combined. You could use garlic and herb Philadelphia as an alternative if you're pushed for time.

3. If you're leaving the skin on your chicken, gently left it back and spread the garlic and herb cream between the skin and the meat. If, like me you're using a fillet or taking the skin off, spread a layer onto the top of the chicken.

4. Taking a slice of prosciutto, wrap tightly around the chicken breast. I found three pieces covered the chicken fully.

5. Heat up a non-stick frying pan and add a glug of olive oil, place your chicken into the pan and quickly brown on both sides.

6. Pour a little extra olive oil into a roasting tray and season with garlic and herbs, place your browned chicken into the roasting dish, place into the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.

7. Whilst your chicken is cook, take your mini corn and slather in garlic butter. Wrap in cling film, place onto a baking tray and pop it into the oven with the chicken for 10-15 minutes. Make sure you check on your corn and turn if need be. This is also a great prep stage if you're having a barbecue and having corn.

8. Peel your potatoes, cut into wedges and wash thoroughly. Drain, coat in wedge topping and cook as instructed on the packet. This is definitely the lazy option but if you're making your own, cover in your own herb mix, place onto a baking tray and cook until crispy.

9.Whilst everything is cooking, chop your salad. Make sure you wash everything thoroughly and use fresh produce, this is even more important in summer with the temperatures so high, your salad will wilt and turn bad quicker than usual.

10. Remove your chicken, corn and wedges from the oven, assemble on plates or in bowls and enjoy!

A super simple recipe, perfect for a quick last minute meal and impressive enough if you have unexpected guests.

Considering I have an irrational phobia of raw meat, I'm very impressed that I managed to actually wrap my chicken!


If you try this, I'd love to know what you think and how you get on :)

Vicky x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig