1 November 2014

Lifestyle | I Had My Drink Spiked

This is not a post I thought I would ever write or a sentence I thought I would ever say, it's one of those things that always happens to somebody else and never you, as you read this you'll probably think "that sounds terrible...but it could never happen to me..." but it could. If it can happen to me then it really can happen to anyone and that's why I'm writing this post.

I can't get into too much detail at this stage but I had my drink spiked this week and I can honestly say it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Thankfully I was with a close group of friends and my boyfriend who knew something was wrong and called an ambulance and then sat with me in A&E for the best part of 4 hours whilst I drifted in an out of consciousness, vomited until I could vomit no more (including over him - lovely) and looked like halloween come early. 

I am always super careful with my drinks: I watch them being poured, I don't accept drinks from strangers and they never leave my sight so if somebody can put something in my drink they can sure as hell do it to anybody. Without getting into too much detail, my friend bought us a drink each, I took one and she the other - hers was fine, mine wasn't so it really was a complete 50/50 chance. 

Thankfully I managed to escape with wounded pride (nobody wants their partner to see them in that state) and a smashed iPhone but it could have been so much worse and that doesn't even bear thinking about. If you've had your drink spiked or think you have, please, I urge you, go to the police. Don't feel like you won't be taken seriously or that they will assume you've just overstepped your drinking boundaries and had "one too many, silly girl" because they won't. It is so important that you report it and hopefully stop it happening again to somebody else. I was lucky but the next person might not be, the one before might not have been. 

This page here on the NHS website can help and I urge you to seek help if you need to. Please speak to someone if you've been affected by having your drink spiked. The thought of what could have happened makes me feel physically sick and utterly furious. I am now at a stage where I don't know if I feel like I can be in that sort of social situation again because I feel like I can't trust anyone and that is a horrible feeling to have. I hope it will pass in time but knowing that it happened even when I am so vigilant terrifies me.

I know this is a ramble and it's something very serious to come back with after such a long break but I want this to reach as many of you as possible. Normal service will resume shortly I'm sure. I had so many plans to sit down and blog this week, now I want to retreat into my shell for a little while. I will return from hibernation soon!

Please, stay safe.

Vicky x
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. So so scary! I'm sure my friend got spiked before when we were on a night out and it was so frightening and just uncontrollable. I am so glad to hear that you're not hurt in any way, and hopefully this post will raise awareness as it's something you tend to forget when you're out with friends and enjoying. Just glad to hear you're okay!! xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you angel. It is terrifying, you have to be so careful when you're out, it's scary xxx

      Delete
  2. How upsetting, I dread what would have happened if you found yourself separated from the rest of your group. Don't worry about the blog, your readers will still be here...look after yourself. x

    http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll. It doesn't even bare thinking about what could have happened if I'd been split from the group. I am very lucky they know me so well and knew it was out of character xxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're friends and boyfriend were there with you, such a horrible thing to happen. :( xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a horrible experience, I was very fortunate xx

      Delete
  4. oh gosh! i'm so sorry that happened to you, must have been a horrible experience. glad you weren't hurt (or worse!) - proof it can happen to anyone though :(

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. if you want to, enter my christmas giveaway to win £660+ worth of beauty products! click here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen, it was indeed awful but I wanted people to be aware that it genuinely can happen to anyone xx

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry that you had to endure that experience and I am glad that you had the guts to share it with other people. As a University student, I go out weekly and like you, I try to be aware of my drinks. I do hope you do not have to go through that again...I can only imagine what you went through.

    From jess at blogsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess, I felt it was important to try and reach people about it because I never dreamed it would happen to me but it really can happen to anyone. xx

      Delete
© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig