24 February 2015

Recipe | Hummingbird Bakery Mixed Berry Muffins

I very rarely look through baking books now, favouring online recipes or the "make it up yourself and hope for the best" method but I recently dusted off my Cake Days book by Hummingbird Bakery and the mixed berry muffins instantly caught my eye. I whipped up a batch to take into work where I knew I was guaranteed an honest opinion - at this stage I suggest picturing a wildlife documentary: me the lone gazelle, my colleagues a pack of ravenous lions. The muffins didn't even make it into our office kitchen! They were devoured at desks as I eventually made it through the door!



You will need
  • A 12 hole muffin tin or two 6 hole muffin tins
  • 12 muffin cases
  • An electric whisk
Ingredients (adapted from the original by Hummingbird Bakery)
  • 300g plain flour
  • 110g caster sugar
  • 250ml whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 85g melted unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs (I use British Lion Eggs - if you're looking for a healthier breakfast alternative to muffins, check out their scrambled egg recipes)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 80g blueberries
  • 80g raspberries
Instructions

1. Line your muffin tin with muffin cases and pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees.

2. Sift your flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together into a large mixing bowl. 

3. Place your butter in a microwave safe bowl and place on a low heat until it melts.

4. In a jug, measure out your milk and add your eggs and vanilla extract and lightly beat together.

5. Make a slight well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in the milk, egg and vanilla mixture, using your electric whisk on a medium speed to beat into a soft batter.

6. Once your butter has melted, pour into your batter and whisk well to ensure everything is combined.

7. Fold your berries in using a spoon - to make sure they are evenly spread I add a handful at at time, stirring in between.

8. Evenly fill your muffin cases and pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are golden brown.

9. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.


I love the marbled effect as the top of the muffins crack and the berries soften and the colours run into one another.

Let me know if you try these, I'd love to see your results!

Do you ever bake for your colleagues? I'm worried I might be a secret feeder!

Vicky x




SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Oh wowww, these look amazing!! I can just picture your colleagues eyeing them up as you walk in the door haha. You've made me really hungry now!! xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you doll! Honestly, anyone would think they were starved. They literally pounce! X

      Delete
  2. These look so so good! I need to make them :)
    Rachel Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! Let me know how you get on with them x

      Delete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig