20 March 2015

Recipe | Panzanella Salad

Today is officially spring and nothing says the warmer months (come on, work with me here) are coming quite like the change in our appetites. With spring approaching I find myself leaning towards salads and craving fresh food and ingredients rather than the heavy ingredients associated with winter so it was no surprise when a few weekends ago I was craving one of my favourite salads: panzanella. Panzanella is a Tuscan salad based around stale bread and tomatoes and it is utterly divine.


I love adding mozzarella into a panzanella salad too but unfortunately they didn't have any on the day that I made this but I thoroughly recommend tearing some up and throwing some in. You can also serve this on a bed of leaves such as rocket but I'm not the hugest fan of leafy salads.

Ingredients
  • Stale or day old bread
  • Selection of tomatoes, I prefer heritage but they weren't in season so I had to settle for piccolo and vine tomatoes
  • Half a red onion
  • Half a cucumber 
  • Olive Oil for dressing
  • Balsamic Oil for dressing (optional)
  • Basil Oil instead of olive oil and balsamic (optional)
  • Sea salt

Instructions

1. Begin by tearing your bread into chunks, I tend not to have any stale bread so I picked up a small crusty loaf from the bakers, tore it into chunks, laid it onto a baking tray and drizzled with olive oil before popping it into the oven at 160 degrees for 20 minutes until the bread was crisp.

2. Roughly chop your tomatoes and place them in a sieve, add a sprinkling of sea salt to help draw out the flavours in the tomatoes.

3. Chop you red onion and cucumber and place them into a bowl, add in your tomatoes and toss to combine the three ingredients.

4. Add your salad to your plate and add your chunks of bread.

5. Dress your salad as to your preference. I really like homemade basil oil but find it can often be quite pungent so be very sparing with the dressing. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar also provide the perfect dressing and soak into the bread perfectly.

What foods are you looking forward to eating again this spring?

Vicky x
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This looks so bloody tasty! I love salads for when the weather starts to get warmer (followed by an almond magnum... moderation and all that!) ;) Great recipe lovely!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond magnums are definitely the way forward! xx

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is, with a bit of mozzarella I could easily live on it x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments ♥ If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on Twitter @VickyAtBBB x

© The Blogging Brunette. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig